Quick! How Do I… Set Up & Start Using VersionOne Out-of-the-Box?
VersionOne just works. Out-of-the-box. It allows for very specific configuration and customization, but when you just need to get-up-and-going, only a few things are needed to start planning and tracking your agile project. Here is a short guide on the essentials.
* Create Project in the Project Tree (Administration > Projects)
- A Project in the Project Tree provides a place to capture a Backlog of Stories and Defects.
- The Project can represent a Product, a Project, or a Release.
* Create a Sprint Schedule and assign to the Project (Administration > Projects > Sprint Schedules)
- A Sprint Schedule is a collection of Sprints following the same duration, e.g., two-weeks.
- Assign the Sprint Schedule to the Project to create, in essence, a Sprint calendar.
* Add Team Members to your Project (Administration > Members > Members)
- Default Role is Team Member – this allows the member to create, edit, plan and track Stories and Defects.
- Assign them to the Project (Administration > Members > Project Assignment).
- This provides the Team Members access to the Project and its Backlog.
* Create or import Stories for the Project (Product Planning > Backlog)
- Stories and/or Defects can be created in the Backlog tab of the Product Planning section or imported into the system via the Import tab – VersionOne provides a default Import Template that provides guidance on which fields can be immediately imported by default.
- Stories and/or Defects can be estimated in a desired unit of estimation – e.g., Story Points; completion of this Estimate given to the Stories or Defects drives the Release Burndown chart to show progress being made against the Project Backlog.
* Create a Sprint(s) and assign Stories to it (Sprint Planning > Sprint Scheduling)
- Create a Sprint(s) for the Project.
- With the Project Backlog selected, drag-and-drop Stories from the Backlog into desired Sprint.
- Stories can be broken down into Tasks and Tests and estimated in desired unit of detail estimation – e.g., Hours; this Detail Estimate provides a To Do value to each Task/Test; reducing the To Do value by a Team Member during the Sprint drives the Sprint Burndown chart to show progress being made against the Sprint Backlog.
* Track work and progress during the Sprint (Team Room)
- Use the board views to track work during the Sprint; this is particularly valuable if used in the manner of a physical whiteboard – project onto a wall or display in a large monitor for the Team to use.
- Drag-and-drop Stories, Tasks and Tests to a Status column to show progress; reduce number of To Do values to show progress.
- Alternatively, use the My Home > My Work view independently to update assigned work.
The Getting Started section on the VersionOne Community Site provides helpful resources and tips to get you started. You’ll also find short videos on each area of the application; these can also be helpful in getting you up and running.
Don’t wait – start planning and tracking your agile project!