I had a great time at the SAFe Summit in October with many of our existing SAFe customers, many of whom I’ve helped directly implement VersionOne on the Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®) with over the last few years. One of the main discussion topics at our booth this year revolved around one question “How does VersionOne align with SAFe?”
After repeating myself about 25 times, I wrote out a list that helped me deliver just some of the ways that VersionOne supports SAFe in about 20 seconds. Here is the list:
- Strategic Themes
- Objectives for Program Increments and Teams
- Program and Value Stream Dependency Boards
- SAFe Metrics
- VersionOne Continuum™ for DevOps
- Multi-level Kanban Boards
- Epic Flexibility
- Agile Administration
The complete list for what VersionOne supports is much longer than that, but the other thing that was very apparent at the conference was that VersionOne is the complete SAFe solution. Scaling agile with VersionOne does not take an army of consultants, purchasing plugins or new databases, or writing new custom reports in order to scale across various portfolios or teams. One solution is all you need… VersionOne.
Here are screen shots showing ten ways that VersionOne supports SAFe:
1. Strategic Themes enable budgeting and portfolio and program reporting.
2. Program Increment (PI) Objectives and Team Objectives enable big room planning and tracking results for the teams and the business.
3. Value Stream Boards and Program Boards help visualize all the dependencies across PI’s or portfolios.
4. SAFe Portfolio Metrics and Dashboards come out of the box without the need for additional plugins or workarounds to show various dashboards or reports.
5. TeamRooms help track team work for Scrum, Kanban, and ScrumXP efforts with an easy to understand and use interface.
6. VersionOne Continuum for DevOps gives your release and delivery teams end-to-end visibility to manage all the aspects of the value delivery cycle.
7. Communities help increase collaboration and the ability to easily share information across teams and the organization.
8. Multi-level Kanban boards (epic and feature) help manage the workflow for portfolio items and scale to any level of the organization.
9. Flexibility to set up epics > capabilities > features, or any combination allowing organizations to chose how many levels are needed to support their teams, without a plugin, workaround, or third-party tool to allow for multiple portfolio item levels.
10. Agile administration that allows organizations to plan out the way they want to organize their teams for scaling, and gives teams the ability to manage their work.
TeamRoom and Continuum are trademarks of VersionOne. Scaled Agile Framework and SAFe are registered trademarks of Scaled Agile, Inc.