Charting the Course to Agile: SD Times Special Report
Did you see SD Times Mar. 30th special report, “Charting the Course to Agile?” SD Times. Victoria Reitano delivers some practical tips and compelling reasons why you should always include a roadmap in your agile transition.
A huge part of this roadmap is agile lifecycle management tools, say the experts she interviewed… including our very own President and CEO Robert Holler:
“Visibility is what tools provide. The transition to agile lifecycle management is all about bringing better visibility to the cycle in order to help the team understand what it’s doing right and where it can improve. This is essential when a team is transitioning to agile because everything is moving much faster.”
In case you don’t have time to read the whole story, I’ve thrown together the ESPN highlights I found most interesting:
- It’s important to establish up front how you’re going to know if the agile transition was successful.
- Start with a team who is interested in agile, then go agile one piece of the process at a time.
- Teams have a variety of tools that need to be integrated so that each department can see and understand what the other departments are doing.
- Development managers need to be able to see all the different divisions in order to make informed decisions. For the PMO, this is hard when teams are using different tools that are not integrated.
- Agile is allowing stakeholders and users to collaborate much more humanly with the developers, which is having a very positive effect on end-value.
- PMOs are more successful with the agile transition when they have developed a community within the company around the methodology. Focusing on how agile helps each individual position and explaining the ‘why’ and ‘how’ of their transition makes all members of the organization feel included in (and more accepting of) the process.
What are your thoughts on creating a roadmap for the agile transition? Anyone been through it recently – what are you recommendations?
Additional agile project management resources:
- Webinar: Creating and Scaling Blended Agile Teams
- Webinar: Best Practices for Scaling Agile
- White paper: Agile Manager’s Roadmap for Project Management Success